Autodrome de Montlhéry (established 4 October 1924) is a motor racing circuit, officially called Lautodrome de Linas-Montlhéry, located south-west of the small town of Montlhéry about thirty kilometres south of Paris.
1928 painting by George Ham of Albert Divo taking on the banking at Montlhery in a Delage torpedo. He is going above the infamous red line which indicates a speed of above 150 kmh!
Industrialist Alexandre Lamblin hired René Jamin to design the 2,548.24 metres (1.58 mi) oval shaped track for up to 1,000 kg (2,205 lb) vehicles at 220 km/h (140 mph). It was initially called Autodrome parisien, and had especially high banking. A road circuit was added in 1925.
The first race there, the 1925 French Grand Prix, was held on 26 July 1925 and organised by The Automobile Club de France Grand Prix. It was a race in which Robert Benoist in a Delage won; Antonio Ascari died in an Alfa Romeo P2. The Grand Prix revisited the track in 1927 and each year between 1931 and 1937.
In 1939 the track was sold to the government, deprived of maintenance, and again sold to Union technique de lautomobile et du cycle (UTAC) in December 1946.
The "Coupes du Salon", "Grand Prix de l'Age d'Or" and the "1000 km" were arranged irregularly since then, as the track has had several high-speed problems.
Fatal accidents at Autodrome de Montlhéry include Benoît Nicolas Musy (1956), and the one in which Peter Lindner, Franco Patria and three flag marshals died in 1964.
The last certification for racing was gained in 2001.
In 1933 the circuit hosted the UCI Road World Championships for cycling.
In 2010 the Speed Ring played host to Ken Block's Gymkhana Three video, an advertisement for his company, DC Shoes. Källa: Wikipedia.